21 September 2012

Day 8 - Mama's got her Kushoo back

Weight: 0 because I'm floating on air

Dietary: Okay will get real with y'all. After my awesome yoga class Masha Allah. I felt so great I Yelped an organic coffee spot; but as I was driving there, Starbucks jumped out at me and pulled me into their clutches. And I'm just not sure I'm ready to break up with SB just yet. We've been together for so many years, it's just going to take a little time.

Mood: Floating man (and nope didn't smoke dope). So I'm just relaxed times a trillion and my mind is just chill. So know I'll school some of you..

Kushoo means "submissive" in Arabic. And you know when your praying or trying to even concentrate on something; your mind wanders? It's a natural reaction for our bodies because we are constantly "on the go" and "switching gears". Well when I first started praying, my Kushoo was so intense that I almost felt like God was right in front of me. I would unintentionally smile at God. And through the years, I have lost this feeling. Even after taking courses and listening to lectures on it; nothing seemed to work for me.

My next step in search of Kushoo was to evaluate my body language while praying. And I noticed how tensed up my whole body was... Aha.. YOGA And in particular, Khundalini which is the focus on Yoga breathing, stretching, concentration on muscle groups, making sounds that actually are scientifically proven to release certain chemicals in the brain and meditation.

So in essence, when the core (the navel) of the body is coiled up tight from stress, the consequences of this affect, not just the muscles, but the brain. And this type of Yoga helps to unbind this and loosen you up; mind, body and Kushoo.

Insha Allah one day I would love to study the vibration sounds of some of our Ayats and incorporate it into an Islamic Type Yoga. Cool huh? Until then, my Intention when I say this is for no one but Allah SWT is:
ONG - The sound of Infinity as it relates to Creation.
NAMO - I name
GURU - That which takes you from dark to light,
DEV - Unbounded Light of the Highest Consciousness
NAMO - I name" or I identify

However when I greet or leave my teacher, in respect to her culture I say "Namasta" and she says "Salaam" to me. I luv the respect for each others culture in these two simple, but powerful words.

One last thing before I bid you a Good Night.. Want to share new, cool things I find with you.

One of my New Favorite things:

Soybu
Flowy lightweight yoga inspired clothing made from organic cotton, bamboo and you guessed it, soy
Here's their blog:
http://soybu.com/TheInspiredLife/

1 comment:

umzaid said...

Salaams Teresa,

Thanks for sharing and schooling me..:) what is ur fav at SB? I take in my empty coffee bag for a "free" small half caff with creamer, no sugar. Life's too short..

I had to agree on the tensed up body thing..is it a Scandanavian trait? I'm Swedish/Norwegian on my dad's side, don'cha know ?

Jozee is doing well frm heart attack, he's acting normal & looking good, alhumdulillah. I have to lose weight and he's the healthy eater, wanna be more like him, iA...last night i snuck some shortbread cookies someone brought him from school. And he 's now figuring my son's body fat..such pressure!

I enjoyed your post..have a good rest of Sunday..im late to dhuhr